Frequently Asked Questions2019-04-19T15:32:29-04:00

As your primary source of professional expertise, services, and programs for Delaware County adults who want to thrive after 55, SourcePoint receives a number of questions on a daily basis. To address some of the more frequently asked questions, we have divided the questions into the following categories:

Can I try out the enrichment center to see if I like it?2019-04-19T11:01:42-04:00

Yes, a day pass is available for $5, which allows guests to utilize and experience the enrichment center.

My partner is under 55. Can he/she come with me?2019-04-19T11:00:44-04:00

Any guest 21 and older is welcome to visit the enrichment center. Visit the customer service desk upon arrival to learn about activity restrictions for guests.

How do I register for activities?2019-04-19T10:58:52-04:00

Register online or in person at SourcePoint.

Is financial assistance available?2019-04-19T10:52:33-04:00

Yes, through the generosity of private donations, SourcePoint is pleased to offer financial assistance for those who qualify.

Are activities free?2019-04-19T10:51:32-04:00

The enrichment center offers both free and fee-based activities. Details for each program can be found on our website.

Does SourcePoint accept insurance reimbursement for membership or activities?2019-04-19T10:50:00-04:00

Anyone with the following Medicare Supplemental or Advantage Programs may join the enrichment center with no annual membership fee: SilverSneakers, Silver&Fit, and RenewActive.

Am I eligible to become a member of the enrichment center?2019-04-19T10:48:34-04:00

Our eligibility requirements are simple: you must be a resident of Delaware County and age 55 or better!

What resources are available to family caregivers?2019-04-19T11:06:12-04:00

Through our family caregiver program, we offer a number of free activities and resources, including monthly support groups at five locations throughout the county, free classes and workshops, one-on-one consultations, a private online forum, and referrals to other resources in our community that can help meet your needs.

Where can I get information about assisted living or nursing homes?2019-04-19T11:07:28-04:00

Ohio’s Long-Term Care Consumer Guide ( is an excellent resource that can help you learn about and compare long-term care options in Ohio. In addition, if you would like to speak with someone about care options, questions, or concerns, you can reach out to SourcePoint’s information and referral specialists at 740-363-6677, as well as Ohio’s Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman at 1-800-282-1206.

How do I know if it’s time to place a loved one in a nursing home?2019-04-19T11:09:11-04:00

The choice to place a loved one in a facility is unique for each and every family. As with any caregiving decision, the decision should not be taken lightly and all family members or people affected by the decision, including the care receiver, should be included. Research has shown that experiencing one or more of the factors listed below often prompts families to place a loved one in a care facility:

  • The care receiver exhibits unpredictable, or perhaps violent, behavior.
  • The care receiver has incontinence of the bowel or bladder.
  • The caregiver is unable to safely lift or transfer the care receiver.
  • The caregiver is experiencing chronic sleep deprivation.
  • The caregiver develops health problems which prevents them from providing quality care.
  • The caregiver is experiencing resentment towards family members, home-care providers, or the care receiver.
  • The caregiver is experiencing significant life stressors.

As a family, the best thing you can do is to choose the type of care that will help you to preserve your own and your loved one’s health and relationships. Placing a loved one in a care facility will not make you any less of a caregiver, it will simply change the responsibilities you have in providing care.

What questions should I ask if I want to hire my own in-home help?2019-04-19T11:10:38-04:00

Families often have to make a decision between working with an agency or hiring individuals to provide services. There is no right or wrong decision and each family has to make the decision best for them. If your family makes the decision to privately hire in-home help, consider asking the following questions before you decide to bring someone new into your or your loved one’s home:

  • Do you hold any certifications or licenses?
  • How long have you been providing in-home care assistance?
  • Have you ever been accused or convicted of malpractice, abuse, or neglect?
  • Do you have a resume?
  • Are you willing and able to perform all job responsibilities?
  • Are you willing to obtain a BCII background check?
  • Do you have reliable transportation to and from the home?
  • Are you available to travel out of city/county/state with the care recipient, if necessary?
  • What is your hourly rate?
  • What is your availability?

In addition to these questions, families should consider having a criminal background check and driving record check completed. It is also wise to request at least three references and take the time to review their resume closely and call the references to ensure they are reliable and trustworthy.

What is respite?2019-04-19T11:11:35-04:00

Respite is temporary relief from the responsibilities associated with caregiving. Respite is important because it gives family caregivers time away from often time-intensive and demanding responsibilities, so that they can reenergize by focusing on their own wants and needs.

Respite is typically provided in the home, but other options may be available. If you are in need of respite or would like to learn more about options available to you, please call 740-363-6677 and ask to speak with one of our information and referral specialists.

Do you offer classes to help family caregivers?2019-04-19T11:13:56-04:00

Yes, we offer a number of free classes and workshops. Caregiver Concepts is a one-hour class packed with information for new, current, and future caregivers. Topics include safety, falls, getting organized, basic legal information, local resources, and self-care.

SourcePoint also provides a nationally proven workshop series called Powerful Tools for Caregivers. PTC is a six-week, 90-minute program that focuses on self-care, communicating in challenging situations, and making tough caregiving decisions. To accommodate various caregiving schedules, we offer both morning and evening classes, at least twice each year.


How can I get my family involved in caring for my loved one?2019-04-19T11:14:47-04:00

Family dynamics in caregiving can often be challenging due to roles, relationships, and distance. The best thing you can do as a caregiver is to respectfully communicate your observations and feelings to family members. You may choose to do this by calling a family meeting.

Who is eligible to receive support from the family caregiver program?2019-04-19T11:17:38-04:00

Family caregivers of any age who reside in Delaware County, or those who are caring for a loved one who resides in Delaware County are eligible to participate.

Is there a cost to participate in the family caregiver program?2019-04-19T11:18:29-04:00

There is no cost attached to any caregiver program or service. However, donations to support the program are welcome.

In what areas do you deliver Meals on Wheels?2019-04-19T11:19:18-04:00

SourcePoint’s Meals on Wheels program proudly serves all of Delaware County, including Ashley, Delaware, Galena, Kilbourne, Lewis Center, Ostrander, Powell, Radnor, Shawnee Hills, and Sunbury, as well as portions of Columbus, Dublin, and Westerville within county lines.

Can you recommend a nursing home?2019-04-19T11:20:19-04:00

SourcePoint is not able to provide nursing home recommendations. However, there are several ways to research nursing homes in the area. You can call the Ohio Long-Term Care Ombudsman at 800-536-5891 and ask for the Long-Term Care Ombudsman for Delaware County. You can also go to and read state survey results for each nursing home in the area.

What services do you provide in the home?2019-04-19T11:24:28-04:00

Our services are designed to help adults ages 55 or older remain living safely in their own homes with independence and dignity. Our services include:

Adult Day Care
Adult day care provides socialization, support, and safety to frail and chronically ill adults, as well as adults with cognitive or physical disabilities, while allowing them to return home at the end of the day.

Chore Services
Help with a variety of chores, such as changing light bulbs, tacking down cords or rugs, raking leaves, shoveling snow, cleaning out garages or basements, and more.

Emergency Response Systems
A small help button, typically worn around the neck or the wrist, provides a direct link to
24-hour emergency assistance.

Homemaker Services
For those unable to perform household tasks themselves, services may include light cleaning, cooking, and laundry. Homemaker escorts also are available to accompany you on local errands.

Meals on Wheels
Our Meals on Wheels program provides delicious hot and cold meals delivered by a caring volunteer. In addition to providing good nutrition, a home-delivered meal provides family the security of knowing someone is regularly checking on their loved one. We also offer several menu options, including meals with restricted carbohydrates or low sodium.

Medical Transportation
Rides to medical appointments, social service agencies, and adult day care centers.

Mental Health Counseling
In-home behavioral health services are available to individuals enrolled in our program.

Nursing Services
Registered nurses help you achieve optimal health and well-being through health screenings, medication monitoring, and more.

Personal Care
Personal care assistants or home health aides help with daily activities, such as bathing and dressing.

Respite Care
Respite services are designed to provide relief and rest for family caregivers, so that stress and tension is minimized. Services can be provided in the home or at a local facility. Respite workers also can perform personal care tasks, such as help with bathing, grooming, and dressing.

SourcePoint can provide direct access to additional services, including:
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide—Tax counselors help prepare federal and state tax returns for individuals who need assistance.
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)—The Ohio Department of Development offers several programs to help lower income residents pay utility bills and improve the heating efficiency of their homes.

What is the process to enroll for services?2019-04-19T11:26:04-04:00

Typically, an individual or caregiver will call or meet with one of our information and referral specialists, who gather information and assess eligibility for the services requested. Once eligibility is determined, a licensed care consultant will be assigned to complete an initial home visit. At that time, program options and services will be discussed and enrollment paperwork will be completed.

What help is available to people who are under 55?2019-04-19T11:26:47-04:00

For people under 55 who are looking for help, please call HelpLine of Delaware and Morrow Counties, Inc. at 740-369-3316 or dial 211 to find out what assistance is available.

Who do I call if I have concerns or problems with a nursing home?2019-04-19T11:27:39-04:00

From “Whenever problems arise with providers of long-term care services, residents of nursing homes and adult care facilities can call upon an ombudsman for help. Ombudsmen field complaints about long-term services, voice clients’ needs and concerns to nursing homes, home health agencies, and other providers of long-term care. While the Ombudsman Office does not ‘police’ nursing homes and home health agencies, they work with the long-term care provider and you, your family, or other representatives to resolve problems and concerns you may have about the quality of services you receive.

“Ombudsmen link you with the services or agencies you need to live a more productive, fulfilling life, advise you on selecting long-term care in Ohio, inform you about the rights of consumers, and provide information and assistance with benefits and insurance. If you have questions, concerns, or complaints about any long-term care service, call 800-282-1206.”

Is this Adult Protective Services (APS)?2019-04-19T11:28:31-04:00

No, but we can certainly refer you to Adult Protective Services.

Although SourcePoint does not have the authority to investigate reports of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of older adults, we recognize the importance of APS. The Adult Protective Services law requires the investigation of reports made concerning abused, neglected, or exploited adults age 60 years or older.

If you have any questions regarding APS or elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation, please contact the Department of Job and Family Services, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 740-833-2340 or 800-899-3180. On weekdays after 4:30 p.m., weekends, or holidays, call the Delaware County Sheriff’s Department non-emergency number at 740-833-2800.

What are the benefits of being a SourcePoint volunteer?2019-04-19T10:36:34-04:00

By volunteering at SourcePoint, not only will you make new friends and share a feeling of camaraderie with staff and fellow volunteers, you will make a difference in the lives of adults in your community. Mileage reimbursement is available for driving assignments and select assignments include additional benefits, such as a free lunch or fitness room usage. Volunteers receive hours-based awards and invitations to special volunteer-only events.

What kind of volunteer training is required?2019-04-19T10:37:28-04:00

We offer group or one-on-one orientation classes to help you become familiar with SourcePoint’s varied volunteer opportunities, policies, and overall mission. Background checks are required for all volunteers and are provided onsite at no cost. Secondary training for specific volunteer assignments follows the successful completion of the orientation and background check.

How do I become a volunteer?2019-04-19T10:42:13-04:00

It’s easy! 

Where is SourcePoint located?2019-04-19T10:46:16-04:00

Our headquarters, which include our main office and enrichment center, are located at 800 Cheshire Road in Delaware, approximately five miles south of downtown Delaware.

Our south office is located at 1070 Polaris Parkway, Suite 200, Columbus. (Look for the Ameriprise sign on the building!)

Can I receive food for my pet?2019-04-19T11:32:26-04:00

Yes, if you are a current Meals on Wheels client, you can receive pet food, thanks to generous donations from our community. Please contact the nutrition department at 740-363-6677 for more information.

How do I get farmers market vouchers?2019-04-19T11:33:33-04:00

Applicants must be Delaware County residents, 55 and older, and certain income restrictions apply. Vouchers are available on a first-come, first-served basis. More information, as well as an application, can be found on our website each spring.

Are your drivers screened and have they had background checks?2019-04-19T10:39:02-04:00

Yes, before driving for SourcePoint, our volunteers have submitted references, attended an orientation class, consented to a two- or three-year check of their driving record, and successfully completed a background check.

Once I sign up for Meals On Wheels, how soon will I start to receive meals?2019-04-19T11:34:02-04:00

You will start receiving meals within 24 hours of enrollment in Meals on Wheels.

If I sign up for Meals On Wheels, do I receive meals all week or can I choose days?2019-04-19T11:35:39-04:00

You can choose which days you would like to receive meals. Contact your care consultant if you have any changes to your meal schedule.

Do I have to be home to receive my meal?2015-03-02T19:05:44-04:00

Yes, someone will need to be home to receive the meal. In addition, the meal cannot be left with a neighbor. Please contact us to right away if you are not going to be home.

My mother recently fell in her home. Can you help?2019-04-19T11:37:28-04:00

For your mother, we would recommend a falls assessment, where a trained staff member comes to her home to address her specific needs. It may be determined that some minor home modifications should be made, such as installing grab bars in the shower or adding a ramp.

SourcePoint provides additional services that might also be useful to your mother. Our care consultants are here to assess need for personal care assistance, homemaking, and other services SourcePoint will assist with coordinating for your loved one. Meals on Wheels can deliver hot, nutritious meals every weekday so that she doesn’t have to cook for herself. We can also install an emergency response system to ensure that your mother is able to get help right away if needed.

There are a variety of possible solutions to ensure your mother is safe at home. Call 740-363-6677 and let us figure it out for you.

Do you help with home repairs?2019-04-19T11:38:30-04:00

Minor home repair and modification services may be approved to assist in maintaining health and safety depending upon need and eligibility. Minor home repair may include: plumbing, flooring repair, electrical repairs, bathroom access, installation of smoke detectors, accessibility, heating unit services and replacements, and/or other repairs necessary for safety. SourcePoint does not cover cosmetic repairs. Please call 740-363-6677 for more information.

Do you provide 24-hour care?2019-04-19T11:39:28-04:00

SourcePoint does offer coordination of respite care, adult day care, and extended care facility respite, however none of these can be offered 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

Do you provide therapy or skilled care?2015-04-20T20:41:28-04:00

SourcePoint is unable to set up therapy or skilled care services. The doctor recommending these services will arrange for such services when the individual is being released from the hospital or nursing facility.

Do you offer seasonal chores, such as leaf raking or snow removal?2019-04-19T11:40:38-04:00

If you need assistance with outside chores, we offer a variety of options. For more details, please call an information and referral specialist at 740-363-6677.

How do I become a provider for SourcePoint?2019-04-19T11:41:56-04:00

SourcePoint partners with local, qualified businesses to provide the services available through In-Home Care Services. Applications are accepted only during open application periods. Visit the provider page for more information on the application process and provider requirements.

How is PASSPORT Home Care different than your in-home services?2019-04-19T11:42:43-04:00

PASSPORT is a statewide program funded by the Department of Job and Family Services. In order to be eligible for PASSPORT a person must be over 60, need hands-on assistance with certain activities, and financially qualify. You can request an evaluation by calling 800-589-7277.

Do you have wheelchairs, shower chairs, walkers, or portable toilets?2019-04-19T11:43:17-04:00

We no longer have these items available for loan; however, Creative Housing continues to offer durable medical equipment. Please contact them at 740-368-5803 for more information.

Is there a cost for services?2019-04-19T11:45:06-04:00

Eligibility for in-home care services is based on need, not income. Services are available on a sliding fee scale, so copays differ for each client based on financial circumstances.

We have two options to determine your copay amount:

One option is to look at your monthly income (minus any medical expenses) and your assets (such as savings, stocks, etc., excluding the home you live in and your vehicle). Your actual copay will be determined during your initial home visit and will be based on the services you need and the information you provide to the care consultant.

Some individuals choose the second option – to sign a waiver which eliminates the need to share financial information with the care consultant. We understand people may prefer to keep their financial information private and we respect that choice. Those who sign a financial waiver pay the full cost of their services.

Regardless of the option you choose, your care consultant will assess your needs and coordinate all of your services at no cost to you.

SourcePoint offers a wide range of services, some of which do not have a cost associated with them, such as our volunteer chore and volunteer transportation. There also is no fee associated with Meals on Wheels, though donations are welcome.

What is a care consultant?2019-04-19T11:46:07-04:00

Our licensed professionals, called care consultants, work one-on-one with each client to customize a plan of needed services. They specialize in issues associated with getting older, and can often spot and prevent problems before they occur.

Care consultants handle all service arrangements, including facilitating appointments and customer service with providers.

Do I have to go through a home visit to receive services?2019-04-19T11:47:26-04:00

Yes. An intake appointment must be completed with all potential clients before a care consultant is assigned.

Intake appointments can be completed over the phone or at our office. Once this intake appointment is completed and a potential client’s agreeability is verified, a care consultant will be assigned and will contact the potential client to schedule an initial home visit.

At that visit, the care consultant will review services, address potential client questions, complete a financial screening, and the paperwork necessary to enroll the client in In-Home Care Services.

Following the initial home visit, the care consultant will locate a provider and make arrangements for services to be initiated.